This example is updating dahdi 2.2.1 to dahdi 2.4.0 (which is the latest version at this time). This is based on updating dahdi drivers from a working configured system that dahdi works properly already. This is NOT a howto on updating from zaptel to dahdi. If you are looking at how to update from zaptel to dahdi - look elsewhere!
Warning: If your system doesn't run using the existing dahdi drivers then you have a configuration issue. Updating the drivers to the latest version will not solve your configuration problem.
If you are updating the dahdi drivers, this implies that you have a knowledge of how to configure a PBX in a Flash server properly for dahdi and can competently troubleshoot dahdi configuration issues.
Backup your dahdi configs to the /usr/local/backup directory (just in case!)
1. Backup all files in /etc/dahdi/
cp /etc/dahdi/* /usr/local/backup
2. Backup the following asterisk config files in /etc/asterisk:
cp /etc/asterisk/chan_dahdi* /usr/local/backup
cp /etc/asterisk/dahdi* /usr/local/backkup
3. Stop asterisk and dahdi:
service dahdi stop
4. Download and install dahdi 2.4.0 complete:
(last part should read pub/telephony/dahdi-linux-complete/releases/dahdi-linux-complete-2.4.0+2.4.0.tar.gz - forum won't print it correctly)
tar -zxvf dahdi-linux-complete-2.4.0+2.4.0.tar.gz
5. Rename old dahdi version directory to dahdi-old:
mv dahdi dahdi-old
6. Create a soft link so /usr/src/dahdi points to version 2.4.0
ln -s /usr/src/dahdi-linux-complete-2.4.0+2.4.0 /usr/src/dahdi
7. Start dahdi services:
service dahdi start
8. Test that dahdi is running with the new version
cd <= moves you to root's home directory for testing
modinfo dahdi will show you the dahdi version loaded
dahdi_tool should show your dahdi interfaces and Xorcom devices like astribanks.
9. Start asterisk
10. Run the status command. It should now show that you are running dahdi 2.4.0+2.4.0
11. From the asterisk CLI> help dahdi, you should have the dahdi commands show up. If not, you have a configuration issue.
12. From the asterisk CLI> dahdi show channels, this should show your previous dahdi channel configuration.